Title: Executive Assistant and Senior Advisor to the CEO
Status: Permanent, member of the Senior Management Team, reporting to the Chief Executive Officer.
Compensation: $40-$60K annually, 3 weeks vacation, employee benefits and professional development opportunities.
Location: Offices located in downtown Toronto in an open concept workspace. Working remotely for the foreseeable future due to COVID-19 (technology support is provided).
Target Start Date: December 2020
Description of the role:
Are you an organized self-starter who wants to impact the communities where we live, work and play? Join CivicAction as the Executive Assistant and Senior Advisor to the CEO. You will grow your network across sectors and industries, support high impact, cross-sectoral collaboration, and gain valuable insights into important issues effecting the region.
As one of the premier civic engagement organizations in Canada, CivicAction leverages nearly two decades of experience and a network of thousands of stakeholders across sectors to take action on the most pressing challenges facing the GTHA and beyond.
With the belief that there’s nothing more important to the future of communities than preparing those who will lead them, the CivicAction Leadership Foundation delivers a suite of high impact programs that open doors, minds & opportunities for young, emerging and under-represented leaders in the GTHA.
The shared purpose of both organizations is to boost civic engagement and build better cities. To realize this, we follow a set of values:
- Drive Action
- Harness Collective Wisdom
- Cultivate Inclusion
- Be Bold
- Have Integrity at our Core
Key Skills and Attributes:
- Proactive, solutions-focused, and highly motivated.
- Strategic thinker able to anticipate needs and show political acuity.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- An effective and creative storyteller.
- Ability to exercise discretion, good judgment and strong diplomacy skills.
- Self-starter who can work independently and adapt to a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and tight deadlines.
- Strong team player and relationship builder who can foster collaboration.
Key Responsibilities Include:
The Executive Assistant and Senior Advisor will be accountable for three core functions: CEO support, Senior Management Team liaison and coordination, and Boards’ Secretariat.
CEO Support and SMT Coordination
- Provide sophisticated scheduling management for CEO. Prioritize inquiries and requests while troubleshooting conflicts; make quick judgement-calls and recommendations to ensure smooth day-to-day engagements with external stakeholders, Board members, and staff.
- Complete a broad variety of administrative tasks to help the CEO effectively lead the organization, including: assisting with special projects on an as needed basis; collecting and preparing information for meetings with staff and outside parties; composing and preparing correspondence; maintaining contact lists and data in Outlook and Salesforce.
- Serve as the primary point of contact on all matters pertaining to the CEO, including those of a highly confidential nature. Prioritize and determine appropriate course of action, triage issues, and exercise judgement to reflect CEO’s style and organization policy.
- Work closely with the CEO to keep them well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately. Keep up to date on issues and trends in order to keep CEO informed. Anticipate CEO’s needs in advance of meetings, conferences, etc.
- As gatekeeper of the CEO’s office, facilitates communication between the CEO, staff and the Board, demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust, and support with the Senior Management Team.
- Assist with Senior Management Team coordination and project completion by liaising with staff and the Executive Team, on behalf of the CEO. Knowledge of urban public policy issues an asset.
- Act as a liaison and provide support to the Board of Directors.
- Accountable for all logistics and materials for Board and Committee meetings and events: schedule meetings; draft agendas; help to develop, compile, and distribute presentation materials; and record meeting minutes on behalf of Board Secretary.
- Prepare and maintain Board workplan for CivicAction and Leadership Foundation Boards, as well as for Finance and Governance Committees.
- Adhere to compliance with applicable rules and regulations set in bylaws regarding Board matters.
- This role may also be called up to provide support on CivicAction and Leadership Foundation operations; including finance, governance, and human resources.
Skills and Attributes:
- Executive support experience, including supporting C-level executives, is preferred. Non-profit board experience is an asset.
- A post-secondary degree or diploma is preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office. Knowledge of Salesforce an asset
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to craft correspondence in the CEO’s “voice.”
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- High degree of professionalism in dealing with Board members, senior executives, staff, community leaders, and donors.
- Make informed decisions regarding priorities and available time and be able to complete a high volume of tasks and projects with little or no guidance.
- Be nimble and creative in handling situations and events that require quick response or turnaround. Think on your feet and be able to switch gears at any moment.
- Maintain a high level of integrity and discretion in handling confidential information and exercise excellent judgement.
SOUND LIKE AN OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU? HERE’S HOW TO APPLY:
Send your résumé and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 PM EST on Friday, November 27, 2020. Late applications will not be accepted.
Please include “Executive Assistant and Senior Advisor to the CEO” in the subject line.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. To learn more about the work of CivicAction and the CivicAction Leadership Foundation, read our most recent Impact Report.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY: CivicAction is committed to diversity in our workplace. We encourage applications from people of all genders, races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, and sexual orientations.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
* Interviews will be conducted via video or teleconference for the foreseeable future.