Click here to access the Summit report, "Breaking Boundaries: Time to Think and Act Like a Region" in its entirety and by topic.
With the support of many generous sponsors, CivicAction hosted the Greater Toronto Summit 2011 on February 10-11, 2011.
Building on a year of consultations culminating in a series of excellent backgrounders, close to 1000 business, government, non-profit, labour and academic leaders created ground-breaking responses to critical challenges and opportunities facing the Toronto region.
Their recommendations, to be highlighted in our upcoming proceedings summary, point to the various roles that CivicAction and others can play in helping the region reach its full social, economic and environmental potential.
Click here to access the Summit agenda and recordings of the following plenary sessions:
- Summit Welcome, CivicAction Chair John Tory
- Opening Remarks, The Hon. Dalton McGuinty, MPP for Ottawa-South, Premier of Ontario
- Growth and Stability in Times of Economic Constraint: Building the Long-term Strength of the Toronto Region, featuring Conference Board of Canada Chief Economist Glen Hodgson
- Making Big Change in Big City Regions, featuring IBM Vice President, Smarter Cities Strategy and Business Development, Michael Littlejohn
- Our Greatest Strength, Our Biggest Challenge: Immigration, Economic Growth and Social Cohesion, featuring His Worship Naheeld Nenshi, Mayor of Calgary
- CivicAction Driving Progress: Lessons from our Current Initiatives
- International Lessons on Civic Action, CEOs for Cities CEO Carol Coletta
- Highlights of the Day 1 discussions, CivicAction CEO Julia Deans
- Day 2 Welcome, CivicAction CEO Julia Deans
- Opening Remarks, The Hon. Jim Flaherty, MP for Whitby-Oshawa, Minister of Finance and Minister Responsible for the GTA
- Promoting Local Economic Development through Civic Leadership: "You Don't Have to Move Out of Your Neighbourhood to Live in a Better One", Majora Carter
- Reflections on Civic Leadership, RBC President & CEO Gordon Nixon
- Video Address, His Excellence the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada
- Forward Thinking: Civic Leadership for the Toronto Region, The Honourable Dr. Eric Hoskins, MPP & Minister of Citizenship & Immigration
- What will it take to make regional cooperation and collaboration a reality? Featuring Their Worships, Mayors Bratina, McCallion and Scarpitti and Deputy Mayor Holyday.
- Summit Closing, John Tory, Chair, CivicAction
Click on the links below to access topic backgrounders and audio recordings.
Woven through our preparatory discussions and inspiring the content for the Toronto Summit 2011 were several cross-cutting themes. These include: civic engagement, civic entrepreneurship and civic innovation; the interdependence of the social, economic and environmental realms; inclusion and belonging; productivity, competitiveness and sustainability; the need to play with our regional partners; cross-sector collaboration and strategic partnerships; and thoughtful risk-taking.
Thank you to the staff, interns and volunteers who made the Summit happen.
To see a list of the Summit delegates, click here.